What causes left sided pain under the rib cage?

Hello, I have had off and on for the past year left sided pain under the rib cage. I have had ultrasound, chest x-ray and CT scan and a ERCP. All negative. I do have gallstones but I am told that is not the problem as it is on the wrong side. No one seems to know what my problem is. I also had a colonoscopy and had two poloyps removed in Nov. but that did not improve anything. I find that it is there constantly the last few days. It used to be intermittent. It seems to be a stabbing type pain. It stabs and then releases. I am 67 years old and I eat a lo fat diet and exercise daily by walking for a hour. I am active. Any suggestions?
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Urinary infection, indigestion. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to healthcare magic. I went through your query and understood your concerns. Most common cause for stabbing pain on left side is gastritis with or with out ulcer. But as your test reports are normal , its confirmed that you are not suffering from this, it's a good sign . I appreciate that you have gone through investigation. Next common cause for your symptom would be muscular pain. Which usually reduce with muscle relaxant medication. Other possible cause would be urinary infection with or with out stones. Urine routine test, urine culture and sensitivity test and ultrasound examination are required to rule out or confirm this. Other common cause is chronic indigestion. probiotics help in this condition.Avoid citrus juice, fatty fried food Carbonated beverages , alcohol and smoking. these help in indigestion. Regular moderate exercise and healthy diet is useful. Hope this information helps you. Feel free to ask if any related queries, I will be glad to answer them. Regards.