What causes left sided chest pain?

Hello I have slight pain on the left side of my chest. Also pain around the bicep and wrist area of my right. Is this anything to be concerned about
Posted Sat, 8 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes.Either Anxiety or Musculoskeletal pain. ECG. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query and understand your concern. Yes. Better rule out Angina and Heart disease. There are many causes for left sided chest pain. Some serious causes we have to rule out are Angina and Coronary heart disease ( Heart attack). From your query, the pain seems to be due to either Anxiety or Musculoskeletal or Musculoskeletal symptoms aggravated by your anxiety. It is better to rule out any heart disease. Please answer my doubts. Do you have any associated symptoms like difficulty breathing, a cold sweat, or sudden nausea, Sweating, Palpitation? When did the pain started? Have you felt the similar pain before? If answers for all these are "NO", then it is most likely to be either anxiety or Musculoskeletal pain. But if the pain is persisting or increasing, then better take an ECG and rule out any Angina or Coronary heart disease. Hope this helps. Waiting for your response.
Follow-up: What causes left sided chest pain? 5 minutes later
Pain on and off for around two months now. Shortage of breath when I excert myself. Eg climbing stairs
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: ECG, ECHO, Hb%, T3, T4, TSH, X-ray, Treadmill,PFT Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your reply. As I already said you have to undergo further investigations to rule out any heart disease. In addition, there are many other causes for Chest pain with Breathlessness on exertion. Even anxiety may also cause chest pain with Breathlessness. Some other important causes are Angina, Coronary Heart disease, Asthma, Anemia, Hyperthyroidism. To find the cause you have to consider these investigations apart from Physical examination. 1. Electrocardiogram and Echocardiogram 2. Complete blood count, Hb %, 3. Thyroid hormone profile 4. X-Ray chest 5. Pulmonary function tests 6. Stress cardiac test or treadmill test. Treatment solely depends on the cause for chest pain and Shortness of breath. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.