What causes left sided and lower back pain?

I am 59 year old female had a hysterectomy 30 years ago but they left overies said at the time they did scrape overies that they may cause trouble later I was told by people I didn't need paps after that I was wandering if that was true lately I have been having dull pain left side in that area hurts worse at night as I like to sleep on my side or stomach hurts in my lower back hip and left side
Posted Tue, 11 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Needs clinical correlation and examination Detailed Answer: good day Miss XXXX Thank you for asking. I am Dr S Khan and i would like to help you with your concerns for Post hysterectomy concerns for pains and pap smears. Miss XXXX i want you to know that The need for Pap smear testing in a woman who has had a total hysterectomy due to a benign condition is somewhat controversial. The US Preventative Services Task Force and the American Academy of Family Practice do not recommend routine Pap testing in this population because clinical evidence does not support it.However, neither the American Cancer Society nor ACOG recommend discontinuation of periodic Pap tests after removal of the cervix for benign disease.Most US clinicians perform post-hysterectomy Pap screening every 3-5 years.So i would say no its not true what people say. One should have pap screen every 3-5 years. Following are indications for such screens The cervix is present There is a history of a significant abnormality detected on a previous Pap test The hysterectomy was part of the treatment for gynecologic cancer The patient has risk factors for vaginal cancer: Older age. Half of all women affected with vaginal cancer are older than 60 years, with most between ages 50 and 70 years Exposure to diethylstilbestrol (DES) as a fetus (mother took DES during pregnancy) History of cervical cancer History of cervical precancerous conditions HPV infection Vaginal adenosis Vaginal irritation Uterine prolapse Smoking Seek a gynaecologist for further management. Now regarding the pain in the area with history of rheumatoid arthritis, I would recommend i a visit to a clinician near by to examine completely and sort it out. Back pain is explained by arthritis and need a rheumatologist opinion for further management. And regarding the Pap worries seek a gynaecologist and 5 minutes screen will soothe the nerves and fix the worries. Hope this answer finds you in good faith. Miss XXXX take good care of yourself and please close the discussion. Regards Khan