What causes left hand pain?

Nov 2013

I have considerable amount of pain in my left hand right from the shoulder when I raise my head upwards. Since three days I have been going through this problem. Please let me know if this is something I should be worried of.
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: No need to worry. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. First of all, I would like to reassure you that there is no need to worry about your symptoms, as they do not suggest any serious neurological illness. The most likely cause for your symptoms could be a pinched nerve in the neck region, which travels to arms, and hands. This can give rise to pain in the shoulder to arm upto hand, especially aggravated with neck movements. As of now, you can take analgesics such as diclofenac or tramadol for pain relief. If symptoms persist, you may get MRI of cervical spine to confirm the diagnosis. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG: