What causes large swollen lymph nodes on neck?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
I just visited my brother in XXXXXXX Tennessee, he is 57 yrs old. His Lymph Nodes in his neck are swollen. They are huge, I last saw him 2 years ago and noticed it then. He has also lost a lot of weight. He looks terrible. He does not have health insurance. He saw a doctor once about it and had a blood test. He says it is not Cancer. Our whole family is concerned. What advice can I give him or info on this?
Posted Sat, 8 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sonila Borici 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Sounds to be infected lymph-nodes... Detailed Answer: Hi, I read the medical history of your brother, and am glad that the symptoms he is having are not related to Cancer. To my opinion, they sound as infected lymph-nodes primary or because of any local (upper respiratory, or ENT) infection, including mononucleosis. He should run some further tests (complete blood work and mono tests) and to start antibiotic treatment. If no result, a biopsy of Lymph-nodes should be carried out for further evaluation. Please ask him to keep a good oral hygiene, start antibiotics and anti-inflammatory therapy. Wish fast recovery! Dr.Sonila