Ask a Dentist   »  

What causes lack of sensitivity in tongue post removal of wisdom teeth ?

Hi, I got my four wisdom teeth out a week ago. Since then I have not regained feeling back in my tongue. The left side is completely numb. Two times that I can remember I felt the 'pins and needles' feeling at the tip of my tongue. I also felt almost a burning sensation(thats the best I can describe it) I can't feel the left at all, I actually bit it to the point of it bleeding but I had no idea until I felt the blood on my right side. I was just wondering if the feeling should be coming back? Or what I should do next? I feel like it is affecting my speech a little which but my jaw is also still sore so I'm not sure if its the tongue or just the sore jaw. Also I'll be leaving for college in two months and I'm going far from my home so I will need to get to a doctor to hopefully fix this before August after then it will be very difficult.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 2 hours later

It seems to because of the local anaesthetic injection given to you before extraction by your dental surgeon. The local anaesthetic injection numbs the nerve supplying the unilateral side and will not allow any pain to be felt for four hours. But in your case more than a week has passed by so you should consult your Dental Surgeon. The tingling sensation at the tip of tongue is awakening of nerves after numbness and should be considered as a good sign.

Jaw Soreness and difficulty to open mouth is common for 7-10 days after wisdom teeth extraction.
Sometimes such numbness occurs when the patient applies ice for too long period on the jaw to reduce swelling.

Warm water gargling is also very useful in your case as it will stimulate and awaken the nerve.

I hope I have solved your query. I shall be available for follow-up too.