What causes knee pain and groin pain with severe arthritis in hip?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I was diagnosed with severe arthritis in my left hip ( bone on bone )..but a lot of my pain is in my left knee. I am limping all the time and never without pain. some times it is pretty bad and other times not as bad. I am unable to do things that I enjoy. I just went to a Orthopaedic doctor. and he gave me a cordisone shot in my knee but it did not help the pain. Now he wants to give me a shot in my hip, he said if it helps then he knows for sure that it is my hip. I guess my question is can you have knee and some groin pain with a bad hip ???
Posted Sat, 15 Feb 2014 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. A severe arthritis of the hip can cause pain and disability and will cause problems in weight bearing. This can cause the postural changes leading to affect on the knee joint also. The knee joint also must be showing some osteoarthritic changes which are age related degenerative changes. If a cortisone shot in the knee joint has not provided the desired relief then you can try having a shot in the hip which has been affected with arthritis. It will cause a reduced inflammation and pain in the hip thus improvising your posture. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL