What causes joint pain,severe weakness in hands and feet and all over body pain?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello How is the best way to find out that moderate joint pain, moderate- severe weakness in hands and feet and general all over body paid is fibromyalgia or a form of arhtritis. I keep having these attacks sometimes going completely away but after a day of physical work I can be really bad and the attacks now are getting worse. I am supposed to be having a nerve conduction test soon because of the carpal tunnel like pain I have had. Not sure that that is really the prob now. Will this test tell me much or would I bet better off asking for a blood test. Also is it ok to try to push through the pain barrier and keep going as some of my work is physical.
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Your must consult doctor for physical examination. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read your query. You must not make diagnosis of your problem by yourself. It is not possible to make a confirmatory diagnosis based on symptoms alone. You need to consult a doctor who may do you physcial examination and some tests so that your exact diagnosis can be made. Many of my patients with fibromyalgia, have laboratory test results that appear normal and many of their symptoms may mimic those of other rheumatic conditions such as arthritis or osteoporosis. So in general, most doctors diagnose patients with a process called differential diagnosis, which means that doctors consider all of the possible things that might be wrong with the patient based on the patient's symptoms, gender, age, geographic location, medical history and other factors. They then narrow down the diagnosis to the most likely one. Your doctor may ask you following questions- -Is there a history of widespread pain lasting more than three months—affecting all four quadrants of the body, i.e., both sides, and above and below the waist?. -What are tender points in your body? There are 18 designated possible tender points (although a person with the disorder may feel pain in other areas as well). So at-last I would like to say that do consult your doctor and do not diagnose yourself by certain test etc. Carpel tunnel syndrome is different entity, it can be confirmed by nerve conduction test. But to differentiate fibromyalgia from arthritis, you need to get examined by doctor. After examining, your doctor may advise you some medications e.g antidepressants , opioids, muscle relaxants etc. I hope you have get your answer. Thanks. Dr.Singh.