What causes joint pain and sore foot?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have joint pain, especially in my legs that seems to move around from day to day, First, a very sore knee, then a very sore foot. Can you give me your thoughts on what could be going on?
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Possibly due to osteoarthritic changes. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us These could be possibly due to osteoarthritic changes. These are basically age related degenerative changes in the weight bearing joints and is characterized by joint pain and stiffness. Xrays of the involved joints will show up the severity of the arthritic (wear & tear) changes in the joints. The treatment options include pain killers, hot fomentation, lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin , dycerin, etc and some life style modifications and physiotherapy. Right now you can start taking Tablet Tylenol ( Acetaminophen) Double Strength after breakfast and after dinner. It is suggested to add calcium supplements 500mg each twice daily. This will take care of your mild symptoms in 3-5 days. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Follow-up: What causes joint pain and sore foot? 11 hours later
Does it make sense that it is a hip one day, then two days later the hip pain goes away but then my knee joint hurts bad, then two days later the knee pain goes away but then the top side of my foot hurts and it's very painful. (It causes me to walk with a severe limp.) It is possible that is something else besides arthritis?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Could be fleeting or palindromic rheumatism. Detailed Answer: Hi, As you describe migratory nature of joint pain, possibility could be fleeting rheumatism or Palindromic rheumatism. In this one joint is affected at a time — painful, tender and is flushed. Within a few days it subsides, with or without medicine, and the other joint gets affected. In another one or two weeks the third one will start complaining.