What causes itching urethra inspite of having intercourse with a professional?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013
Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
On 22nd Dec. i had a sexual contact with a professional. On 2nd XXXXXXX I had sex with my wife. Around 8th XXXXXXX i got itching sensation in my urethra. I saw a doctor and he gave me a course of 6 antibiotic injections and the itching disappeared. Thereafter i haven't had any sexual contact with my wife. So far in the last two months she hasn't complained of any itching or burning sensation while passing urine. Do you think its safe for us to resume sex now?
Posted Tue, 25 Mar 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Kindly send details Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum. I can understand the concern for the possibility of any type of sexually transmitted infection in you and therefore in your wife. Before I can help you better can you please elaborate certain important points regarding your problem: - Had you used a protection in form of condoms during the contact with professional or was it unprotected intercourse. - Have you had felt any type of discharge or burning or any redness on your genital area or pain during urination any time after the exposure to professional. - When you felt itching in urethra, what was the diagnosis of the doctor and what antibiotics were injected. Hope to hear soon from your side. Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD- Dermatology & Sexually transmitted diseases

Follow-up: What causes itching urethra inspite of having intercourse with a professional? 46 minutes later
1. It was an oral sex without condomwith the professional. 2. There was no discharge, no burning and no redness on the genital area. No pain during urination. 3. Doctor had mentioned it could possibly be something called Chlamydia. 4. Doctor said it was a combition of anti-biotics.

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: You clean in your status; can resume normal sex Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for sending important details so that now I can guide you best regarding your query. After analyzing your query with diligence I can make out that you are quite clean in your status. It is on the basis of certain important facts: - In most of the instances oral sex transmits least of Sexually transmitted infection and that too either herpes or gonorrhoea or chlamydia in least of instances. In hepres and gonorrhoea if present must manifest itself within few days of period. SO talking about your case it is more than 2 months since the incidence occurred so these two are totally out. - regarding chlamydia also there is pain and burning during urination or there can be discharge from the penis along with pain in testis. None of the symptoms are present in your history making this condition also to be out of out context. - Even then your doctor had given you proper combination antibiotics to presumptively treat the infection present if any. So relax yourself and accordingly you can resume your normal sexual activity with your wife. I hope these information will help you. I will be glad to answer any further of your queries or if not then can close the query and rate the answer. Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD- Dermatology & Sexually transmitted diseases

Follow-up: What causes itching urethra inspite of having intercourse with a professional? 12 minutes later
One last question. Can Chlamydia be effectively treated with a single dose of Azithromycin 1 gram or any other anti-biotic in tablet/capsul form?

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Prefer to give Azithromycin tablets in dose of 1gm Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your follow up. In my patients with confirmed chlamydia I prefer to give Azithromycin tablets in dose of 1 gm in single dose. It provides best relief in most of my patients. Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD- Dermatology & Sexually transmitted diseases