What causes itching sensation all over especially on limbs and back which become red after scratching?

Jan 2014

I m having itching sensation since one week all over esp on my limbs and back. on scratching red bumps are formed. the sensation is mostly in the evening. I m 31yrs old and have no diseases as of now. general medical check up done last yr was normal.
Posted Mon, 23 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need some more information Detailed Answer: Hi. thanks for posting your query at XXXXXXX I would need a little more information about your problem to be able to manage it better. Does anyone else in the family has similar complaints? Your siblings? your wife? Kids? Are the bumps like insect bites? Does the itching and bumps also involve the abdomen, thighs, genitals? Please write back with details, so that I can help you better. Awaiting your response. Take care Dr. Kakkar
Follow-up: What causes itching sensation all over especially on limbs and back which become red after scratching? 11 minutes later
none else has this. I have it on the back of my neck, thighs and sides of the abdomen. they appear to be small mosquito like bites but I have not been bitten by mosquito's. the redness and small circular bumps disappear say after 15- 20 mins.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Urticaria it is! Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for the reply. The rashes which you develop are Urticarial. They usually present as pale or red raised patches that may itch and are evanescent i.e the rash appears suddenly and may involve the whole body and then usually resolves within a minutes or few hours. Many factors like Food and Food Additives, Drugs, Allergies, Infections, cold, heat, pressure, exercise, strong emotions, spicy food, water (aquagenic urticaria), sun(solar urticaria) etc have all been implicated in its causation. Sometimes people who are prone to allergies and have dry skin can develop it at the change of season. If i were your treating doctor i would have asked you to take an oral antihistamine for 7 -10 days like cetrizine once OR twice daily. You can apply a cooling/soothing lotion like the ones containing either or combination of calamine, zinc oxide, menthol, camphor, phenol. You should be able to find it OTC. Hope it helps take care regards