What causes itching in breast and nipples?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
My left breast (right under the nipple) started getting itchy yesterday. The right breast does not itch. I don't see any other changes in the left breast, but I was wondering if I should be concerned? Thanks youl
Posted Tue, 4 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please provide photo/further data of yours,thanks. Detailed Answer: Hi my dear, Could you please send in the photo of the itchy breast? That could help me assist you better! I'd also kindly ask to have more of your medical data before running into conclusions: - do you see any changes in the nipple area? - any discharge? - any hardening of the breast glands? - any swollen/harden lymphnodes in the armpit area? If nothing seen, and no swollen lymph-nodes, then, there is nothing to be worried about. Usually, such itchy breast is caused by a fungal infection. I need to have the photo first before advising any otc cream. Meanwhile, I'd suggest to keep the area well cleaned and dried. Looking forward to kindly have the requested photo and medical data of yours! Thank you! Dr.Bardha
Follow-up: What causes itching in breast and nipples? 20 hours later
Dear Dr. Sejdini: Thank you for answering me. To answer your questions, I can say that there is absolutely no change in my left breast as compared to the right. It doesn’t appear to have a rash, but I don’t feel any hardness under my arms or anywhere on the breast. I have been applying just regular moisturizer (the bottle says for itchy skin), and I’m hoping that it will help. If there is anything OTC you can suggest, I would appreciate it. Thanks again for your help. XXXX
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Anti-hystaminic cream can be applied to itchy skin Detailed Answer: Hi back dear XXXXXXX O'Brien, Thank you for following up. I am glad to come to know that there is no changes in the skin or local organs. If it seems to be only itchy then, go on applying the OTC anti-itching cream together with hygienic measures as mentioned earlier. Usually, I prescribe otc creams containing anti-hystamines or anti-itching herbal mixture. If no effect, then, should shift to hydrocortisone cream, but as a last alternative to avoid side effects. If no improvement within a couple of days or longer, then, should consult dermatologist for further evaluation. All the best my dear! Dr.Bardha