What causes itching deep inside the fingers?

I have intense itching deep inside two fingers. How can I get rid of it?
Posted Mon, 10 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Itching in web spaces, need to look for a cause Detailed Answer: Hi I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same . The kind of itching that you have can either be due to an infection between the fingers or it can be allergic in nature. I would like to know if there are any skin changes present in the area in the form of redness or fine powdery scales or any other skin lesions in the form of deep firm lesions. In case there is anything visible on skin , please click some close up pictures of the skin lesions and upload them here on this page. You can also mail them at YYYY@YYYY with heading as ref to Dr Geetika Paul . Also please tell since when do you have this itching.? Is it only in one finger Web space or in all the fingers? Are you applying any medicine or cream or oil over it? I am sure I will be able to help you more once you provide me the pictures and the above details . Waiting for your response Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: What causes itching deep inside the fingers? 1 minute later
This deep inside the flesh two of my fingers, and at prior times deep inside the flesh of one or two toes, is not on top of the skin-- nothing visible -- and it feels as though it is deep inside. Feels as tough it is a nerve giving a false signal of itch rather than the flesh producing the itch.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Itching between fingers, infective or nerve cause Detailed Answer: Hi again There are two possibilities that we can think off. The site that you have mentioned which is the area between the fingers or toes is very commonly affected by candidal infections. These can cause severe itching and sometimes the skin appears normal. The second thing is , as you stated , a nerve irritation . Only on direct examination of the area, we can find the exact cause among the two. So we need to cover both the aspects. I would suggest that you apply a topical antifungal like canestan cream over the area twice a day. In addition, you should take oral vitamin b 12 tablets once a day. This will help in strengthening the nerves. This will cover both the aspects and I am sure will help you. In addition, you can take some oral antihistamine like claritin tablet once a day for itching. Hope it helps Please ask if you need any further clarifications Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: What causes itching deep inside the fingers? 2 minutes later
To clarify, the itch is not between toes or fingers. Rather the itch is inside the flesh of a toe or finger. In the past, it would last for only an hour or so and only implicated a toe or a place on the sole of a foot. The past two days it has been two fingers, intermittent, not there for hours, but keeps returning. I suspect it is not a dermatological problem but a nerve reaction. Is the vitamin b 12 the only remedy if it is a nerve issue?
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Dysaesthesias skin Detailed Answer: Hi again Since you have mentioned that the site involved is not the Web spaces in particular , so that almost rules out the infective thing. Now since the itching is intermittent in nature and it tends to occur at different places most the times, so that essentially rules out problem with any one nerve. It rather points towards a more generalised weakness of nerves leading to altered sensation in skin at places which is called dysaesthesia. The treatment of this condition is basically in the form of nerve supplements as told before. You need to take them regularly for six to eight weeks so that these dysaesthesias do not occur again. Dr Geetika Paul
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: best of health Detailed Answer: You are most welcome Take care Wishing you speedy recovery Dr Geetika Paul