What causes itching and rashes in the vagina?

Mar 2013
I returned from a day 10 travel trip on feb 20. Experienced slight itching in the vaginal area on feb 21. It became severe by feb 22. On inspection, i found that i had. Small scratch on the left lip of my vagina. I thought it occured while bathing or cleaning myself. Since that day i have been conscious of not scratching and keeping the area clean. It has been 3-4 days now and i am experiencing severe burning, stinging and pain during urination. The pain is so bad that i am crying almost every time. I rechecked the area today and i notice several cuts and tiny eruptions that look like rashes. They dont look red in colour. The lips of the vagina seem to have become whiter though. Have i picked up an infection? And what is the fastest way to cure this? Because it is affecting my walking, sitting and even using the restroom. Thanks.
Posted Mon, 17 Mar 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: YEAST INFECTION LIKELY. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Yes, you have definitely picked up an infection. From your description, it appears to be a vaginal yeast infection. The symptoms are typical - intense itching, pain , stinging and the fissure like cuts. The whitish secretions also are fitting in. The fastest way to cure this ? I could easily prescribe some OTC antifungals, but if it is NOT a yeast infection by some chance, and something else, self medicating it would worsen the infection. You should consult a gynecologist and have an internal evaluation to confirm the nature of infection. The treatment would then be decided. You should undergo a per speculum and per vaginum examination and a vaginal swab testing to pinpoint the infection type. If you are pressed for time, and really wish to take the risk and self medicate, then you should go for Clotrimazole vaginal suppositories and local Clotrimazole ointment. Avoid itching, scratching, touching or handling the area. Avoid unprotected sex till it heals. Change undergarments frequently and avoid dampness at any cost. You can use local Clotrimazole dusting powder also. Do not use any soaps, cleansers, medicated products or gels / douches. Just clean with lukewarm water, and XXXXXXX dry with a gentle towel. If you can , upload a picture, so that a better diagnosis can be formulated at my end. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: What causes itching and rashes in the vagina? 2 minutes later
Supposing it is a yeast infection how long will it take to heal? And how do i manage the pain? It is unbearable currently.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer: AS BELOW Detailed Answer: If it is a yeast infection, it would take 3 - 4 days to a week to clear up, depending on the severity. Please use clotrimazole gel with hydrocortisone for the pain, it will help, as will aloe vera gel. Use cold ice compresses locally. Take care.
Follow-up: What causes itching and rashes in the vagina? 3 minutes later
Please look at the images uploaded and confirm.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: KINDLY UPLOAD. Detailed Answer: Am unable to view any attachments or uploaded images.