What causes itching and headache after eating chicken?

Hi When ever I eat chicken, after 2 hours I get itching and headache and it remains for next 1 day. The main parts I get itching is on my checks and also I get dandruff on next day remains for 2 days. Please help me with this I facing more problems because of this unable to concentrate on my career.
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: Food allergy Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to health care magic. I went through your query and understood your concerns. Your symptoms are more suggestive of food allergy. Food allergy is an immune system reaction that occurs soon after eating a certain food. You may be allergic to chicken or any ingredients used in its preparation. Symptoms can appear with in a minute to few hours after taking food. There's no standard test used to confirm or rule out a food allergy. Confirmation can be done with skin prick test, which can determine your reaction to a particular food. Try to avoid taking particular food item for a 2 weeks or 3, if you are symptom free in that period, this helps to find out your triggering factor for symptoms. Elevated eosinophils count shows your aleergic response and A blood test can measure your immune system's response to particular foods by checking the amount of allergy-type antibodies in your bloodstream, known as immunoglobulin E (IgE) antibodies. Which need to be done under qualified doctor guidance. Simple Antihistamines help to reduce your symptoms. One of the keys to preventing an allergic reaction is to completely avoid the food that causes your symptoms. Hope this information helpful to you. Feel free to ask further related queries. Regards
Follow-up: What causes itching and headache after eating chicken? 4 hours later
Thanks a lot for ur suggestion . But i have already tried this , i did not have chicken for few days and i was feeling better. Again when i start having, its the same issue . . Is there any antibiotic tablets to be taken . Suggest me if any tablets need to be taken so tat i can come out from this allergy soon. Thanks and regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 16 hours later
Brief Answer: Avoid allergen . Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for follow up query. Best treatment for allergy is to avoid allergen. In your case chicken as you have noticed. Antibiotic are used for treatment of infection, which is effective against infection not for allergy. Allergy is due to immune response of body to allergen(chicken) in your case. If we reduce body's immune system then you will be prone other complication like infection. So best treatment is to avoid allergen. There is other way of treatment available, in which slowly desensitisation to particular allergen done by injecting small quantity of allergen and progressively increase the dose. You can get this treatment done by a immunologist. Hope this information helps you. Feel free to ask further related query , If satisfied close the query and rate it. Regards