What causes isolated swelling of the hands during the day?

It's been since the 20 th of December I've notice my hands being swollen in the morning and sometimes during the day. I do hair and they are very dry and chaffed in the winter time. ? Not sure why this is happening. It seems to come on when I get very warm?
Posted Tue, 14 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer: No woories for now Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, I do think it might be necessary to know exactly why you are experiencing this. However, a few questions might be important to be answered. Is this the first time you are experiencing this? Is the swelling accompanied by any pain? Do you experience swelling in other regions of the body? Do you experience any itches? Isolated swelling of the hands could arise from an inappropriate position maybe from a poor sleeping position, an allergic reaction, a rheumatological problem in case this is associated with joint pain. It might be necessary ti check and ask your neighbors if they experience any changes on your face as the day goes by. If this swelling is accompanied by swelling of thee face, a kidney problem might need to be excluded. I strongly suggest a complete clinical review. A history of kidney disease, joint disease are important to be considered. Urine tests for proteins to evaluate for kidney disease, blood tests for arthritis and a complete clinical review with hey elements of your family and personal medical history are sufficient to make an appropriate diagnosis and draw up a good management plan. I do not think it should something so serious as of now. I suggest you book an appointment with your gp. Please, do feel free asking any follow up questions in case of need. I would be glad making any suggestions. Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health. DR Bain