What causes irritation,dryness,fulness and lump on the soft palate?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
I have had irritation around the left side of my soft palate for 6 months. It felt at first like a cold sore on my tonsils. That feeling went away but I developed a feeling of irritation, dryness and fullness around that side of the soft palate and tonsil. ENT scoped and said maybe acid reflux...he didn't see much. Had a barium swallow done which showed shatski's ring and some minor dysphasia. After a couple of months I had an endoscopy, the ring was enlarged and there was no sign of reflux or Barretts. Some of the pressure on my throat seemed to subside but the soft palate still feels irritated. the feeling goes away when I lie down/sleep. It returns within 30 minutes after I am up and about. IT's not really painful, just annoying. I reached back with my finger to touch the area and could feel a pea sized lump just behind the edge of the soft palate. It does not hurt when I touch it but I think it may be what is causing my soft palate to feel funny. I feel something pushing into my throat when I turn my head to the left. THE ENT apparently did not see this but it was there for some time. I thought maybe it was supposed to be there though I don't feel anything like that on the other side. I also feel a sensation on that side of my neck when I turn my head to the left- of something "popping' like a tight tendon over a bone (like in my upper arm, from playing golf.) I feel like a hypcondriac because my ENT didn't say anything about it -- but i guess I should go back and make him look again? or is this a normal part of anatomy?I did treat for reflux for several months but that had no effect
Posted Mon, 17 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Symptoms suggestive of Vitamin B deficiency Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query on HealthCareMagic. The irritation, dryness, fulness and lump on the soft palate needs to be investigated. The upper gastrointestinal tract endoscopy rules out features of reflux thus reflux is not responsible for the symptoms. Your ENT specialist is also finding any visible lesion on that part so a visible abnormality is ruled out. Sometimes vitamin B deficiency causes similar symptoms in the oral mucosa. You can take a course of vitamin B complex for some time, a month and so and observe for the disappearance of the symptoms. The 'popping' sensation on the side of the neck could actually be due to movement of muscles and tendons on that side of the neck. Do not worry. Take vitamin B complex and observe the symptoms. If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer. Dr Shailja P Wahal