What causes irregular menstrual bleeding with cramps and blood clots followed by light period?

Mar 2013
Hi...last month my period came 3 days early and I had bad cramps and lots of blood clots, some of them really big. Now this past cycle my period only lasted one day and it was light/medium. It came on time..but I did have spotting when I wiped before and after that day. What factors could cause this?
Posted Fri, 3 Jan 2014 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: WORKUP OUTLINED Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. See basically in a sexually active woman, any kind of irregular menstrual bleeding should first be investigated for pregnancy or a related complication - like a miscarriage or an ectopic pregnancy. So please take a pregnancy test right away if you have been sexually active during this period. Other possibilities for irregular menstrual bleeding are - stress, tensions in personal or professional sphere, changes in your diet or sleep patterns, weight gain, ingestion of hormonal medications etc. Hypothyroidism, polycystic ovarian disease, endometrial hyperplasia, polyp, fibroid, ovarian cysts - these are some of the other differentials. I would recommend the following for a patient who came in to me - 1. A pregnancy test right away. 2. Once that is ruled out, a thorough internal check up ( per vaginum and per speculum ). 3. A pelvic ultrasound scan. 4. Blood tests - FSH, LH, TSH, Prolactin, OGTT This evaluation would reveal a specific diagnosis. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.