What causes involuntary twitching of eyes?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Good evening, I'm looking for a way to get rid of the tic on the eye. It started a couple of days ago and happens pretty often during the day. Could you advise me what I can do about it? Thanks, XXXX
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Due to anxiety. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. From the description provided it seems that you have muscle twitch or fasciculations near your eye. These are small, local, involuntary muscle contraction and relaxation visible under the skin arising from the spontaneous discharge of a bundle of skeletal muscle fibers. Tics have a variety of causes, the majority of which are benign. A common cause of facial tics in an adult is stress and anxiety. A kind of vicious circle may operate here. Trying to cover up the tic causes anxiety and this anxiety of this causes the tic. Management of this problem in the first place is, if you can at all, to remove any anxiety and stress in your life. This is best done by facing up to your stressors and dealing with them. An additional help might be to learn self-hypnosis techniques specifically designed to control and ultimately eliminate this problem. In case the problem is persistent then you might consult your doctor who can order 1. a few blood tests including thyroid function tests, 2. Serum electrolytes including Serum calcium and potassium levels. 3. Serum B12 levels In case the above tests are normal further testing can be done including - nerve conduction studies, Electromyography, etc. These tests might help to diagnose any underlying neurological issues. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL