What causes involuntary contractions of eyelids?

Ophthalmologist
Question
MY RIGHT BOTTOM EYELID KEEPS CONTRACTING AND PULSATING RANDOMLY FOR THE LAST 2 WEEKS, NOW IT SPASMS OR PULSES AND I GET A HEADACHE SOMETIMES. ESPECIALLY WHEN I GET UPSET.
Posted Thu, 27 Mar 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: This indicates eyelid twitches. Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to Health care magic Iam Dr. Dadapeer K, an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. It seems from the history that you are having involuntary contractions of eyelid for last 2 weeks. This involuntary contractions are spasms of eye lids or twitches of eye lid. The common causes for eye lid twitches are stress, excessive intake of caffeine, tiredness... As you have quoted in the history that you get these symptoms whenever you are upset thus indicating that these are benign eye lid twitches which will disappear and no need to worry. You can follow the below mentioned things for relief from these eye lid twitches Do cold compression to the local area for earlier symptomatic relief Do control elevated blood pressure Reduce intake of coffee and other drinks containing caffeine Have a balanced nutritious diet and good intake of fluids Adequate sleep You need to worry if the eye lid twitches are generalized causing complete closure of the eye lids, spasms of the surrounding facial muscles as these indicate blepharospasm and may require further evaluation. Hope the information is helpful to you. Thank you

Follow-up: What causes involuntary contractions of eyelids? 53 minutes later
THANK YOU, I HAVE SLLEP APNEA AND IM DUE FOR A SLEEP STUDY ON MARCH 7TH. THAT EXPLAINS A LOT...THANKS AGAIN!

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you Detailed Answer: Hello Thank you for writing to Health care magic. If you have any other question do ask me and I will be happy to answer. Thank you