What causes intermittent pulsing dull pain in knee?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Interrmittent pulsing dull pain in my left knee for past two days every 10-12 seconds then dissipates
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Brief Answer: I would like to know some more details. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Before proceeding further I would like to know some more details, so that I can help you in better ways. Do you have lower back pain ? Is it in front or back side of knee ? Is it like burning /tingling sensation ? Associated numbness? Any associated swelling , redness , skin discoloration on affected area? Awaiting your reply..
Follow-up: What causes intermittent pulsing dull pain in knee? 10 hours later
Some lower back pain. Pain to the right back side of knee,just dull pain not burning or tingling,no numbness,no swelling,redness,or skin discoloration to affected area. I do have degenerative disc disease at c5-6 and c7-T1. I have had pain in the past on the top right side of knee that was constant for several days and then went away. I also have constant neck pain and stiffness for past 5 years. Have had xrays & MRI of my cervical/thoracic spine 2 months ago.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 17 hours later
Brief Answer: Likely to be muscular pain. Detailed Answer: Hi, The pains that you have described are likely to be due to a muscular pain most likely caused by muscle spasm. Doing mild stretching exercise will be helpful. You can do a hot fomentation and apply a muscle relaxant gel on the area to relieve the spasm. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care