What causes intermittent numbness in my chin and right hand?

Dec 2012

Intermittent numbness in both lips/chin x 4days. New slight numbness/pain in R hand
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Could be as a result of neuropathy/nerve damage Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX Most of the times when faced with numbness in such areas as your lip and/or hand could be as a result of nerve damage or neuropathy which in your situation maybe as a result of your hypertension (hypertensive neuropathy). Chronic conditions such as hypertension, diabetes etc. You could also be suffering from transient ischemic attacks which is also a complication of chronic medical conditions. At this point, I recommend you see a neurologist who can run some tests and provide you with some treatment to relief and prevent symptoms. Hope this helps and wish you the best. Dr. Nsah
Follow-up: What causes intermittent numbness in my chin and right hand? 12 hours later
Thank you for your response. Another rpiece of hx that I had not thought about was that I returned from the US and British Virgin Islands on 1/10. While there we snorkels at multiple spots. On about 1/6 I notices a slight rash on my L forearm and thought little about it. I also have a bite on my L knee. Incidentally , I take Claritin daily for seasonal and environmental allergies. So, I searched the Internet and marine sites . I think I MAY be having an allergic reaction to sea lice which are the larvae of jellyfish . That being my working guess/diagnosis, I took 25 mg of Benadryl last pm. So far this morning, I am symptom free . What do you think?
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer: I do support your theory Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Given your updated history, I am in support of allergy especially as symptoms subsided after taking benadryl. Allergy to substances often occur shortly after contact with those substances and if you developed rash after being in contact with sea lice, then it might be it. Also, the parasite can also be directly responsible and the itching and rash might be as result of irritation due to the presence of parasite on your skin. It will be appropriate to get checked for this before we can conclude on allergy. However, I do not think this updated history has much link with your neurologic symptoms of numbness. Hope this helps further. Dr. Nsah