What causes intermittent flashes of orange light in peripheral vision in right eye?

I suddenly began seeing intermittent flashes of orange light in my peripheral vision in my right eyes and only in a darkened situation. First noted while driving my vehicle and thought someone was flashing a laser light into the back seat of my vehicle.
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: Flashes are because of problems in retina. Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to Health care magic Iam Dr. Dadapeer K, an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. It seems from the history that you are having sudden onset of intermittent flashes of light in right eye. These symptoms are called as flashes of light. The causes for flashes of light are peripheral retinal degeneration with retinal tear and in cases of posterior vitreous detachment. This requires evaluation by a ophthalmologist for examination of the fundus to look for retina and vitreous which lie in the posterior part of the eye behind the lens. The importance of these symptoms lie in the fact that they may be prodromal symptom of retinal detachment. Hence this requires examination by a eye doctor to prevent the onset of retinal detachment. Hence I advice you to consult your eye doctor for examination and treatment accordingly. Hope I have answered your query and the information is helpful to you. Thank you