What causes intermittent diarrhea along with constipation?

Excellent

Gastroenterologist
Question
Hello. As of three days ago I began experiencing very mild diarrhea that contained mucus interspersed with constipation and very small normal stools that also contained mucus. The odor is mild and different from the smell of normal stools, but not foul smelling. I have consumed more dairy over this period of time than I normally do but it has not been an issue in the past. Let me know your thoughts Thank you for your time.
Posted Sat, 12 Aug 2017 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You are suffering from enteritis(gut infection).

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.

Most likely you are suffering from Gastroenteritis.It is an intestinal infection marked by diarrhoea, constipation cramps, nausea, vomiting and mucus in normal stools.However its not necessary that all symptoms are there in a single patient.Depending on the cause, viral gastroenteritis symptoms may appear within one to three days after you're infected and can range from mild to severe. Symptoms usually last just a day or two, but occasionally they may persist as long as 10 days.As mucous is tgere in your case it can be bacterial or protozoal also.Difference in odour is suggestive of bacteria in stools.

Treatment-

Get plenty of rest.
If you feel like eating, try small amounts of plain foods, such as soup, rice, pasta and bread.
I would start 3 days antibiotic and anti protozoal course for now.
Tab Ofloxacin 200 mg twice a day(9a.m-9 p.m)
Tab Metronidazole 400 mg twice daily(9a.m-9p.m)
The drugs mentioned here are prescription only medicine.

A probiotic should be used daily.gut Bacteria Help Digest and Absorb Foods. The most plentiful and importantbacteria in the small intestine is the Lactobacillus species. Lactobacillus helpsferment indigestible carbohydrates and, supports the breakdown of sugars in dairy products, which are a common source of food sensitivities(can be excess dairies in your case).The gut flora helps to neutralise some of the toxic by-products of digestion, reduce harmful substances (such as toxins and carcinogens), and discourage 'bad' bacteriaand yeasts. It also helps to stimulate the digestive process and aid the absorption of nutrients, as well as producing vitamins including B and K.Probiotics are live bacteria and yeasts that are good for your health, especially yourdigestive system. We usually think of bacteria as something that causes diseases. But your body is full of bacteria, both good and bad. Probiotics are often called "good" or "helpful" bacteria because they help keep your gut healthy.

Thanks.