What causes intense pain after gallbladder removal?

I had my gallbladder removed in Oct 2011. Everything was okay, until April 2013 when I began having a series of intense pain in my right side. The pain radiated to my back. I began having terrible diarrhea, and went to the dr. I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy performed. A polyp was removed and I was told I had some diverticulosis. This was in November 2013. I had another intense attack of pain in December 2014. I went back to the dr, and he put me on Entocort to help control the diarrhea. I am now scheduled for another endoscopy to look in my bile duct for a stone. I have lost 17 lbs since April of 2013 because of the diarrhea. What could be causing this intense pain? My dr said the diverticulosis would not cause the type of pain I have when these attacks occur.
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Multidirectional etiology, needs work up Detailed Answer: Good Day Miss Ruby! My name is Dr S Khan and i would like to help you With you symptoms of diarrhoea and your request to know for the pain etiology and associated gastro intestinal issues. Miss XXXXXXX i want you to know that interventions with gastro intestinal tract of that extent with gall bladders, polyps removed and associated illnesses of diverticulosis and pain radiations to the back superseded by excessive weight loss of 17 pounds all make this history a multi dimensional one and a lot of monitoring . It could be any thing. Pain radiations to the back with gallbladder already compromised rings the bell for pancreatic profile with superseded age of geriatric limits and a significant weight loss. So a complete assessment of pancreatic profile from serum amylases, lipases, A/L ratios, urinary amylases, CA19-9 levels and abdominal radiographies to sort out the pancreatic involvement as significant weight loss with that severe pain might indicate a malignancy or a pancreatitis. Now diarrhoea of that chronicity with polyps history may need some work up to sort out etiology for IBS, crohns, ulcerative colitis, malabsorptions very common after gallbladder removal and irritable bowels secondary to diverticulosis themselves, so it needs a very strict monitoring of electrolytes and diet modifications with a constant touch to gastroenterologist would be necessary. A banana, rice, applesauce, and toast (BRAT) diet with alot of fiber and special focus on rehydration is advised. WHat matters the most here is your rehydration and electrolytes levels. should never be kept aside. Now your next appointment for endoscopy and assessment of common bile duct for stone impaction is a bit vague and needs to be specified and goal directed to the organ involvement and responsible for the symptoms. Above mentioned Modus operandi would be a good blue print to follow. Seek your doctors opinion and discuss the odds with them. And keep me posted. Miss XXXXXXX Hope this answer finds you in good health and some benefit. If you have any more queries please feel free to ask other wise kindly close the discussion and rate the answer as per your experience. Take some very good care of yourself. May the odds be ever in your favour. Regards Dr S Khan
Follow-up: What causes intense pain after gallbladder removal? 12 hours later
Thank you for your response, Dr. XXXXXXX I was also tested for Celiac disease. the results are not back as yet. I'm afraid I may have something wrong with my pancreas, even though I had tests and they came out normal. I had blood work done and had to collect my urine for 24 hours to have it tested. No results yet. If my pancreatic levels came back normal, what else could it be? I'm very worried about the endoscopy coming up in 3 days. Why would I start having problems 1 1/2 years later since my gallbladder was removed? The test I'm having in a few days is to see if there are stones in the bile duct or as the doctor put it, "sludge" in the duct. I also had a stool culture back in December. They indicated there was no bacteria, and all tests were normal. I've had an MRI, endoscopy, colonoscopy, and the only thing found was the polyp and a small amount of diverticulosis. But, I am still having the diarrhea, not as often as I was, but at least 7-8 times per day. Do you think I should get a second opinion?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 18 hours later
Brief Answer: Lets wait for the results and stick to current doc Detailed Answer: Good Day Miss XXXXXXX Again! I think we should wait for the work up pending so far and stay in touch with your current doctors. they are looking for the possibilities , sludge in biliary tract, Pancreatic profile and endoscopies colonoscopies with celiac work up , I think its too early to get disappointed and considering a second opinion. Miss XXXXXXX Stay calm and hang in there. Your diagnosis is on the way and you will b all right once diagnosed as management plan will get specific. SO my advice stay in touch with these doctors, they are doing good job as second opinion will bring you to ground zero and you will find it difficult to let new doctor informed in detail about your illness. Lets wait for the results, Hope for the best and get prepared for the worst case scenario just to keep our morals high. I will be there for you. Please keep me posted what comes up. Dr S Khan email : YYYY@YYYY Cell # +0000 . I will be there for your. Dont forget to close the discussion please Miss XXXXXXX Have a very good day Regards Dr S Khan