What causes inflammation or infection of the vulva and vagina and what is the treatmment?

Question
Hello, I'm experiencing a chapped/dry labia, itching around my vagina and it burns very slightly when urinating. but enough to be bothersome. I'm currently using vagisil for the itching. it also is a little red and swelled. what could it be and what could i do to make it stop? i haven't shaved either so it's not from that.
Posted Sat, 11 Jan 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Can be due to friction rub allergy or infection Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. From your symptoms it looks like vulvovaginitis to me which is inflammation or infection of the vulva and vagina. It may be caused by chafing or friction rub which occurs after intercourse or the second possibility is of an infection can be caused by bacteria or yeast. However the possibility of an infection is less in your case because infection is associated with change in vaginal discharge as well and it may change in color, consistency or smell. The other reason can be an allergic reaction to soaps, detergents, shower gel and condoms etc. I suggest you to follow up with your gynecologist as you need to get a pelvic swab sample done for the cervical discharge to rule out any bacterial or fungal infection. Apply cold compresses and wear cotton undergarments. Oral anti inflammatories like ibuprofen/acetaminophen are also helpful but they should be taken after a prescription from your doctor. Till that time, follow these simple lifestyle measures: 1) Avoid rough intercourse/ masturbation and use a water based lubricant during intercourse. 2) Wear cotton underwear and avoid douching or using feminine products. 3) Avoid using perfumed soaps and sanitary napkins, bubble baths and toiletries. 4) Change the undergarment daily, wash it in hot water and double rinse (to remove any irritating detergent) and take adequate nutrition and sleep. 5) Apply calamine lotion for relief from itching in addition to vagisil. 6) Keep the area dry and apply Neosporin powder Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal