What causes inflammation of the liver?

a blood test has shown that i have an inflamed liver, i am active and slim and eat very few fatty foods , why do i have this and what causes it , and can it become worse , causing what ?? many thanks XXXX
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Need more info Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query Inflammation of the liver could be due to several reasons, please get back to me with the following details 1. Please attach or type out the liver function test report 2. Do you have any symptoms like yellowishness of the skin, vomiting, loose motion, fever, pain abdomen? 3. Has an ultra sound of the abdomen been done? 4. Do you consume alcohol? How much do you drink in a week? Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply Regards
Follow-up: What causes inflammation of the liver? 2 hours later
In answer to above. I do not have the blood test print out my GP told me this yesterday Nd I am to have an ultrasound on Friday. No I do not have any symptoms at all really and feel ok , and I would have maybe two or three glasses of white wine each week In answer to your question , I do not have the report but was given this information by my GP yesterday and am having a liver scan on Friday next. I do not have any symptoms really and feel ok apart from bouts of lethargy, I would only have two to three glasses of white wine each week if that. Tanking you. XXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Hello Detailed Answer: Thanks for the reply in detail Here your possibilities of inflamed liver. 1. Viral hepatitis 2. Fatty liver 3. Congestive hepatitis secondary to mitral regurgitation ( leaking mitral valve) 4. Gall stones causing obstructive hepatitis I would like to add here that ultra sound abdomen is very important investigation to rule out fatty liver, obstruction ,etc but whats more important is that you send serological markers like hepatitis b, Hepatitis C and Hepatitis A. I you could give me the liver function test report I could have helped you better One more point is that mild inflammation of the liver is usually self limiting and will not require treatment. I hope I was of help Regards