What causes inflammation of the foreskin and head of penis?

Dec 2012

Hi im XXXXXXX for about a week ive had this pain when i pull my forskin back behind the head of the penis it looks like the skin is split an it stings badly?
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Probably suffering from balanitis Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX It seems to me that you might be having inflammation of the foreskin and head of penis known as balanitis. Balanitis is most often caused by poor hygiene in uncircumcised men. Other possible causes include: - Diseases such as reactive arthritis and lichen sclerosis et atrophicus - Infection - Harsh soaps - Not rinsing soap off properly while bathing You may need skin test for viruses, fungi, bacteria etc Treatment depends on the cause of the balanitis. - Antibiotic pills or creams are used to treat when balanitis that is caused by bacteria. - Steroid creams may help balanitis that occurs with skin diseases. - Anti-fungal creams will be prescribed if it is due to a fungus. Circumcision may be the best option in severe cases. If you cannot pull back (retract) the foreskin to clean it, you may need to be circumcised. I suggest you see a doctor for further exams and treatment. Hope this helps and wish you the best. Dr. Nsah