What causes indentations and swelling in ankles?

Im getting indentations in my ankles when wearing socks. They look swollen at end of the day but at night when I wake up they are back to normal. what cuases that?orry meant to say when I wake up in the morning the ankle swelling is gone
Posted Tue, 4 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your problem I will like to tell you that it will be very difficult to give you a diagnosis based on these complaints but still we can discuss the possibilities . First is you should get your thyroid functions test as thyroid disorders can lead to this problem , secondly a cardiac evaluation is recommended as early heart dysfunction can also present like this . A renal function evaluation is also recommended. First it needs to be determined whether the edema is pitting or not further evaluation will be based on this only . I will like to see a physician for this and get yourself evaluated . You have also mentioned High BP in your history , drugs like amlodepine can also lead to pedal edema . Take care. Dr. Shruti
Follow-up: What causes indentations and swelling in ankles? 55 minutes later
I don't believe it is pitting edema bc when I press on it skin bounces back. I have thick calves and the sock is tight and makes this indentation then it goes away. When I wake up in the morning they are normal no swelling. In late November I was playing football and while running felt a "pop" in left calf with alot of pain and difficulty walking. Swelling etc etc. can this contribute to this as well. I had broken that same foot/ ankle 21/2 yrs ago and have had problems since. Thank you again
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 14 hours later
Brief Answer: thyroid abnormality is first possibility Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, If its non pitting edema , thyroid abnormalities will be the first thing and yes, chronic inflammation can also lead to thickening of skin and give feel of edema but then that would be only on the side which had that injury . Dr. Shruti