What causes increased heart rate?

My heart rate has gone up and down all day - low is 70, high was 151 and I feel like my heart is beating hard.
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: Monitor for a few more days Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this variation in your heart rate today. There are several reasons why the heart rate can increase. The most common being fright, anxiety, fear, stress, etc. Because this is the first day you have observed this, my suspicion is that it could have been caused by one of these situational factors and not a disease. This should normally get resolved immediately the situation of provoking factor is addressed. I will recommend that you observe it to see whether the same scenario would repeat itself. If it should, we would obtain an EKG to see whether it is related to an abnormal heart rhythm or not. In all, stay calm and monitor. If persistence, we would evaluate for a possible heart rhythm condition using an EKG. If it doesn't, there is no need to get worried. I hope this addresses your query fully. Thank you so much for patronizing our services and please do feel free to ask for follow up clarifications and information if need be. I wish you the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.