What causes increased heart rate and weight loss inspite of normal blood tests?

i have had many test done on me for my heart. and my stomach. i have had a colonoscopy, upper endoscopy, upper gi, and many blood tests. they all cant find anything. yesterday, i had bloodwork drawn for my adrenal glands. i have lost over 20 lbs in the past month and my heart rate is always over 120. and my bp is high. ex, 138/95 pulse 126. i am only 15 years old
Posted Wed, 26 Mar 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Manisha Gopal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Donot worry, it can be managed as tests are ok Detailed Answer: hello and welcome to HCM! I have read the question and can see that despite all tests being normal you have increased heart rate and losing weight. From my clinical experience I can say that these symptoms can be due to anxiety disorder. You have not mentioned in the query if you have episode of anxiety (or severe anxiety)-- panic attack ( in which there is accompanying palpitation, restlessness, and perspiration for few minutes), sadness, and disturbed sleep. This is not uncommon to see it in patients of your age ( more so, when there is appositive family history of any anxeity or depression). With anxiety, the blood pressure and heart rate can rise to your level. So, Plesase donot loose heart, it is well manageable. Had I been treating you, I would give something to calm you down, like - paroxetine or sertraline. As all the heart tests and blood test are normal, you need not fear, it looks like psychological problem. With appropriate drugs, you will have good results within few days of starting medicines. For your weight loss- it can be seen in such patients, so, the medicines for anxiety / restlessness will help it automatically. It will be wise to get thyroid levels, serum B 12 level, to rule out any deficiency in them (as it us commonly seen to be disturbed in psychiatric illnesses). Hope the reply is useful please feel free to ask more questions for clarifictaion Dr. Manisha Gopal MD psychiatry
Follow-up: What causes increased heart rate and weight loss inspite of normal blood tests? 25 minutes later
i dont have any anxiety problems and my thyroid and b12 are normal
Answered by Dr. Manisha Gopal 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: There is no harm in meeting a psychiatrist Detailed Answer: Hello, You do not have any anxiety, but still I would strongly recommend that you to meet a psychiatrist in person as you have tests in normal limit. It is not just feeling of anxiety but several other things which can be detected only in face to face talk. Moreover, it is highly unlikely that someone with this heart rare and BP in your age does not have any complaint of palpitation. However, already you are undergoing several tests and are concerned about health, so you can try to see a psychiatrist also, it will not harm you in anyway but might be helpful. Have you got any brain scans? It might give a hint towards possible disorder. Whatsoever it us, I hope that you get diagnosed early and get well soon. Hope it helps you Wish you good health Dr. Manisha Gopal
Follow-up: What causes increased heart rate and weight loss inspite of normal blood tests? 1 hour later
i already have one.. thanks for your help!
Answered by Dr. Manisha Gopal 21 hours later
Brief Answer: Best wishes Detailed Answer: Thank you too and good luck. Dr. Manisha Gopal MD Psychiatry