What causes increased heart rate and palpitations ?

about 10 days ago at night i felt my heart almost popping out of my chest i felt really bad but it went away, then almost everyday i feel my hear rate increase even when i dont do much, when i take my xanax it goes away. i would like to know if i can return to the gym and do exercises and cardio like i always have 5 to 6 times a week.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later

Increase in heart rate and palpitation can be a expected symptom due to stress and I do consider the same as the probable cause in you .This is supported by the fact that Xanax helps.

I would advice you to go for relaxation exercises like Meditation or Yoga, which will surely bring a change.About going for heavy work out in gym I would consider safety in getting an ECG before the same.

Though your age does not agree for you having a cardiac illness, getting an ECG is always for good.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.