What causes inabilty to sleep even while on sleep inducing medication?

My father 84 years old has been taking LArpose for 40 years now. Even 6 mg dose does not put him to sound sleep. How to ensure sleep
Posted Sun, 29 Dec 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Maruti Karale 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: needs evaluation and change in medicine Detailed Answer: Hi! Some patients become dependent on sedatives to induce sleep and later on need more higher doses for inducing sleep. Lot of other medical problems also interfere with sleep like electrolyte imbalance, high blood sugar, high creatinine, sepsis, thyroid disorders, etc. I would urge him to consult his treating doctor who can evaluate him and exclude associated conditions. If all other parameters are fine, other sedative hypnotics can be added for better results. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health.