What causes hypersensitivity of nerves in scalp area ?

Question
I am an 18 year old and I have had a problem with my scalp for years. Ever since I was thirteen, there has been a spot in my scalp that feels fabulous when touched (massaged, scratched, tapped, etc.). It relaxes me. The bad thing about it is that I lose all of the hair in that area when I'm stressed. I've never had any major medical problems and can't figure it out. What could possibly be wrong?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 20 minutes later
Hello.

Massaging on the scalp is always a very relaxing experience. The point you are talking about is may be a bit more sensitive in this regard.

Losing all the hairs in one particular area of the scalp is very distressing and is most likely due to some infection- either ringworm or fungal and rarely bacterial. It is easily treatable.

For the treatment you need to take full course of specific antifungals in consultation with your dermatologist. A local steroid and anti fungal lotion application will also help. Remember early treatment is easy in case of fungal infections.

Meanwhile take regular iron supplements and a good protein in your diet for a healthy growth of hairs.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.

Follow-up: What causes hypersensitivity of nerves in scalp area ? 18 hours later
I've actually taken anti-fungal medications and they didn't help. Do you think it has something to do with nerves?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 hours later
Hello.

Thanks for writing back.

The soothing sensation you feel, can be due to hypersensitivity of nerves of that area; but not the cause of falling hairs. If you have taken adequate treatment of fungal infection then just wait and watch. It might take at least six weeks time to show any regrowth of hairs. Be sure that you have completed the full oral course of anti-fungal's before looking for regrowth of hairs.