What causes hot flashes from neck to head daily?

I have been getting these warm flashes. They start in my neck and go up into my head. They last about 30 seconds to a minute and go away. Happens daily.... what causes this?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Women Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Hi Sirena,

It would be of immense use to me, if you can give the following information?

1. Are your periods regular?
2. Is there heavy bleeding/irregular bleeding?
3. Do you have any other symptoms apart from flashes?
4. Since how long have you had these symptoms?

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: What causes hot flashes from neck to head daily? 1 hour later
Yes my periods are regular, not heavy or irregular.

I get this warm rush feeling in my neck and up to my head, I get a little dizzy then it goes away. I dont feel it anywhere else on my body, just my neck area and head.

Ive noticed them for the past couple weeks.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 6 minutes later
Dear Sirena,

Thanks for following up.

On reviewing your history, I think the symptoms are occurring due to a hormonal imbalance. Hormonal imbalance could occur due to medication, hormonal problems like thyroid etc. However most commonly these symptoms are reported as part of menopausal symptoms.

I see that you are 44, so the possibility of you being in the peri-menopausal period is high and the hot flashes are probably due to low levels of estrogen that occur in pre-menopause.

I suggest you to observe for a few days. Usually Pre-menopausal symptoms are under control after few weeks. But in case that this problem is upsetting your life and work, the treatment of gynecologist and get the hormone replacement drugs prescribed then..

Hope i could be of help to you.