What causes hot flashes after taking emergency pill?

Mar 2014
Hi, My GF and I had an accident during sex.... The next morning I went and bought a one-dose emergency pill which she took by the 12th hour. 2 1/2 days after she took the pill she started to experience hot flashes. I am not certain whether this is induce by the pill or an accidental pregnancy.
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: pregnancy will not cause this Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX Thanks for the query. It was wise of you to use the pill. Pills are effective in preventing pregnancies in more than 95% cases if they are taken within 72 hours. So the chances of pregnancy in this case are very low. Also even if pregnancy occurred, the developing baby would be too small and still not even connected to the mother to give rise to any symptoms. Symptoms of pregnancy usually do not occur at least two weeks after conception, this is around the time of the expected menstrual period in women with regular cycles. The time when we can detect pregnancy at the earliest is around 7 days after the missed period by a urine test or a few days earlier by a blood test. The hot flashes are unusual but may be attributable to sudden change in hormone levels after taking pills. It would help to know her age and any other symptoms to help you more on this. But I suggest that you stop worrying about pregnancy as you have acted quickly and hence are most likely safe. Hope I was able to help you. Thanks for using Health Care Magic. I would be happy to answer any further queries. Have a nice day. Dr. Madhuri Bagde Consultant Obstetrician and Gynecologist