What causes hoarseness of voice?

General Surgeon
Hi, my 11 month baby has hoarse voice since about a day. She has been screaming since a few days but I am not sure whether that has caused it. she has not been crying excessively. Should I wait for her voice to get better or take her to a pediatrician?
Posted Wed, 26 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: Decoction of tulsi will be beneficial Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear XXXX The hoarseness of voice is possibly related to screaming and crying. If the breathing movements of baby are normal ( there is no hurried breathing), no fever, excepting feeds well, playful and sleeps well then there seems to be no cause for concern. For her hoarseness I would suggest you the following 1. Warm tomato or chicken soup 2. Decoction: To cup of milk + 10 Tulsi leaves + 2 gms of fresh ginger + 2 black pepper + 1 spoon of turmeric + 1 spoon of sugar. Bring it to boil. Filter it and cool it so that it's warm. Feed the baby with watti and spoon. . It will be very soothening to the baby. If the symptom persists then visit your Pediatrician. I wish and hope that other than this symptom she is fine. Being a Parent myself I understand your concern and apprehension. Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Pediatric Surgeon