What causes hive like rash after taking polytrim eye drops for pink eye?

Question
my 5 yr old was diagnosed with pink eye yesterday. He was prescribed polytrim op eye drops. Tonight he has hive like rash all over his trunk and sholders. Could this be a reaction or a new issue?
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: These seem two different issues. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to XXXXXXX Though polytim b is known to cause reactions, but rash or reaction is limited to face and neck region only. Since he is having rash on shoulder and trunk , it is seems a different issue. Such rashes in children are generally due to infection or skin infections. ideal would be to let his doctor have a look. I generally prescribe oral antihistaminics and local antibiotic creams in such cases. Hope this helps.Please ask if there are doubts. Regards.

Follow-up: What causes hive like rash after taking polytrim eye drops for pink eye? 13 hours later
Morning after and spots are still present. They are odd in size ranging from pencil eraser to dime size. They're not itchy or really raised much at all from the skin. Any possible ideas?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: Looks like milder skin reaction Detailed Answer: Looks like minor skin reaction more than infection.Did you try any medications?

Follow-up: What causes hive like rash after taking polytrim eye drops for pink eye? 20 minutes later
Was going to try some eczema cream and possibly benndryl. Other suggested ideas?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Benadryl is good option to give it try. Detailed Answer: I wont not favor eczema creams at the moment.Try skin comforting creams containing camphor, menthol or pramoxine. Also moisturizing lotions can be tried.