What causes hip pain on standing?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My left hip started hurting after I spent 2 days in bed with a migraine. I turned over and felt my left side pop. No pain until I stood up. That was about 36 hours ago. I'm not over weight and never had a problem like this before.
Posted Fri, 21 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Can be muscle cramp or spasm Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. Since the pop in the hip the pain on standing, the few possibilities are- 1. Fracture- if there is any difficulty in walking and the pain is felt specifically when you bear the body weight on your leg while standing then you need to have an X-ray to rule out any bony injury. 2. muscle cramp or spasm- this can happen due to abnormal body posture while resting. Doing a hot fomentation will help in decreasing the pain. 3. Soft tissue injury- Usually needs adequate rest and hot fomentation to heal. It sometimes takes 6-8 weeks to come back to normal. Please visit your physician or an orthopaedician to undergo physical check up and also to undergo relevant investigations required in your case. Meanwhile taking mild pain killers like acetaminophen will help you. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL