What causes high viscosity and does that affect motility?

Infertility Specialist
My analysis shows 4.2 ml volume and 74.4 concentration per ml, which is great. My viscosity is high however at 3 and motility is 38.0. What can cause the high viscosity and could that account for the motility issue? This is just a single sample and I know things can vary, but how bad are these numbers? Lastly, I do take Proscar for hair loss. Many thanks!
Posted Wed, 26 Mar 2014 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: infection Detailed Answer: Hi Increased viscosity is due to Infection of sperms. Please give your semen for culture and sensitivity test. You can take antibiotics after seeing report. Infection seem to be reason for motility also. Regards
Follow-up: What causes high viscosity and does that affect motility? 7 minutes later
Thank you doctor. Your answer is both helpful and reassuring. So, you don't feel the finasteride is an issue here?
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: No Detailed Answer: Hi Its just minor infection. Nothing to do with drugs. Regards