What causes high protein in urine?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Hi I recently went to the doctor complaining of back pain. He took a urine test and said I had 3x the normal amount of protein in my urine. I am looking at my blood and 24 urine lab test results. I have been very nervous but will only go back to see me doctor Monday. Everything looks within the normal range except my Neutrophils(absolute) are high 7.3 the range being 1.4 to 7.0. BUN and Creatinine are all within the normal range.On my 24 urine test it says An apparent normal immunofixation pattern and Protein Albumin etc also states a normal total protein with a presence of IgG and IgA. Do you feel my kidneys are shutting down? I have been to so many doctors for muscular aches and no one has been able to diagnose me. I am ready to go to the Mayo Clinic. I also was taking some herbal supplement from India given to me by a doctor. I have stopped that and today my urine was neg. for protein. Could stress be the cause of all this/ Please help
Posted Thu, 27 Mar 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Possible urinary tract infection left untreated... Detailed Answer: Hi, To my opinion, the high protein in urine might be related to urinary tract infection that has left untreated. I suggest to discuss with your doctor to do culture of urine in order to identify the right antibiotic. Furthermore, I also advise to: - drink more water - take herbal mixture for improvement of urinary tract symptoms (I usually recommend cranberry, uva ursi, fern stone herbal mixtures) - avoid heavy weights or work-overloading - try to cope with stress - avoid salty, pickles, fried, oily foods With regards to stress, it has nothing to do with high protein in urine. Once again, to my judgement, it is an old urinary tract infection that has left untreated for long time. Hope it was of help! Dr.Sejdini