What causes high heart rate and skipping beat when i am sick?

When I'm sick my heart skips beats, and small things like walking up the steps cause my heart to race, only when I'm sick, why is this?
Posted Tue, 25 Mar 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Anxiety stress, Cardiologist, ECK, ULtrasound Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, The first thing to consider under this circumstance is that one naturally becomes very keen and concerned about everything that goes on in the body, when one is sick. It might necessary to note if there exists any personal or family history of heart disease or not. There are two things to consider concerning the unusual beating of the heart that you noticed only when you are sick: - First, this could be mainly due to anxiety and being so concerned about what is going on with your body. - Secondly, it could actually imply there is something wrong with your heart or something. When sick generally, there is a general situation of stress, release of the body stress hormone, Adrenaline generally increases heart beat. Some people are more sensitive to stress than others, and could have the sensation to actually feel their hearts beating. It is of utmost importance also to ascertain if this feeling is experienced in all cases of sickness, or in specific cases of sickness only. If this is experienced at all times, this would imply that it is simple a general state of anxiety or stress that could explain. If it is in specific conditions only, it might be necessary for these conditions to be precised, for an in depth evaluation to be done by your doctor to establish any possible direct relationship to heart disease. A careful clinical examination, in case this disturbs sufficiently big time with a cardiologist would be welcome. Doing an EKG to monitor heart rhythm and specific stress tests and a cardiac ultrasound could be programmed, depending on specific findings in the physical examination and past medical and family history. Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health. Dr Bain