What causes high BP?

May 2014

Dear Doctor,My pressure read 140/100 yesterday.The doctor immediately prescribed Thelma 40 and to come back in two months. I am afraid that I will have to continue and be on medication throughout my remaining life. Is the pressure because of the three pegs of drink I have every evening?? Could the prescription be discontinued if I change my drinking habits? and reduce my weight . I am 5ft 11 inches and weigh 80kgs. My weight has increased in the last 1-2 years. I do brisk walking for half an hour every morning and evening.Thank you
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX Thanks for writing in to us. I have read your query in detail. High blood pressure is defined as a consistent blood pressure of 140/90 mm Hg or more recorded on three consecutive days at the same time of the day. The patient must be relaxed for 30 minutes before recording blood pressure and the recording must be done on the same site and using the same machine. If your blood pressure has been recorded as described above then you may have high blood pressure. The first control of high blood pressure is by reducing amount of salt in diet. Your alcohol intake is also high and it will be good to decrease your daily alcohol consumption. The same can be said about your weight if it is on the higher side. A complete clinical evaluation by a cardiologist is essential at your age. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek