What causes high BP when on Atenolol?

I am a 34 yr old female healthy and good shape. I have been diagnosed with hyperthyroid. My symptoms were high BP, high pulse, shortness of breath and lightheaded. I have been given atenolol. I have taken this medication for 5 days. My BP is still 193/109. Should I be concerned?
Posted Mon, 17 Mar 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please provide the requested data.... Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for sharing your concern with HCM. Having BP of 193/109 is considered high; however, to judge if they are a cause of concern, I'd like to ask first: - what was your BP level before starting atenolol? - what other medications you are currently taking and for how long? - do you have other symptoms (shortness of breath, lightheaded)? - may I have the reports of your cardiac tests (EKG, cardiac echo, holter monitoring, stress test)? That could help me assist you further. Meanwhile, with such high BP, I'd suggest to start a diuretic to see if BP will improve. Looking forward to kindly have the requested data in! Thank you! Dr.Benard
Follow-up: What causes high BP when on Atenolol? 1 minute later
I do not have access to the reports you requested at this time but can get them when i get home. My bp has been steady at the 190 mark. Although my pulse reached 158. Im having some shortness of breath while walking. But overall am feeling weak
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 23 hours later
Brief Answer: If correctly treated,no need to be concerned... Detailed Answer: Hi back, If your BP has been steady at 190 mark (no drops), then, this is something to be concerned. Your hypertension is not well controlled. I suggest to start a complete treatment with ACE-inhibitors, diuretics and to continue using Atenolol (as you are already taking). It will take 2 weeks for the improvement to appear, however, so far, you should've noticed some changes. As your BP is steady (up to 190), then, the therapy you are taking is not working. The drugs as suggested earlier are necessary to be added to your current therapy with Atenolol. If already added, improvement will be seen within the next 2 weeks. Looking forward to have your reports in! Dr.Benard
Follow-up: What causes high BP when on Atenolol? 31 hours later
My ultrasound has shown an enlarged thyroid and a large nodule. So im going to a endochronogist tomorrow. Thank you for all your information
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 14 hours later
Brief Answer: Glad to hear that my information was helpful.... Detailed Answer: Hi, and thank you for following up. I'm glad to hear that my information was somehow helpful for you! Wish you best! Dr. Benard