What causes high BP and kidney problems ?

I am 70 yrs. old and in fairly good health. I only have one functioning kidney but it does not give me problems (I drink lots of water). My problem is I went to a pain specialist for bursitis shots and my blood pressure was 184/85. It usually runs very low. Can stress cause this? I'm moving and my car just got crashed.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in General Health
Follow-up: What causes high BP and kidney problems ? 5 minutes later
My pressure usually runs low; so that that I passed out one time.
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 1 hour later
Hi ,

Thanks for the Query.

I Would like to know few more things, which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Are you Diabetic?
2.) What is your Height and Weight?
3.) Do you get Headache or Dizziness?
4.) Do you have any problems in Urination?

Your History suggests you have High Blood Pressure, in your case it is Stage 2 Hypertension. Kindly get yourself examined by a Cardiologist as You need repeated blood pressure readings to confirm if you have Hypertension. Your Doctor may also Order a Master Health Check up to rule out other causes of High Blood Pressure.

It is common for Hypertension to develop in elderly. If subsequent Blood Pressure readings show more than 120/80mm Hg you will require anti Hypertensives. Your Treating Doctor will know better.

Follow these Lifestyle modifications:

1.) Exercise regularly for an hour, as this keeps your Blood Pressure under control
2.) Avoid high calorie foods, eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables
3.) Avoid stress, Practice relaxation techniques like yoga and Meditation
4.) Avoid smoking and alcoholism
5.) Limit your Daily Salt intake to less than 1500mg
6.) Monitor your Blood Pressure regularly at home
7.) Maintain a Healthy weight
8.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Hope I have answered your Query, I Will be available to answer your follow up Queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.