What causes high B6 levels?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
I recently had blood work done and found out my B6 is higher than it should be, checked my vitamin,supplements and the foods high in B6 which neither was a problem. I'm needing some answers because of the nerve damage this is causing. Thanks XXXX
Posted Tue, 18 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Can you please provide the results of blood works? Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thank you for sharing your concern with XXXXXXX Before running into conclusions, I'd kindly ask to have the results of your blood work to see how high your B6 levels are within the reference range of the lab who carried out such blood work. Next, although the label of the vitamins, supplements and foods you eat have a normal level of vitamin B6, however, the total intake could have been increased giving high B6 levels. As it is a water soluble vitamin, your body does not store. In other words, you need to get it from the foods/drinks/supplements you take on daily basis. It is true that high vit.B6 levels can cause nerve damage, however, it does not mean that this is your case. If I was your caring doctor would advise to stop taking any vit.B6 supplement for at least 6 months, while keep on taking foods/drinks containing vit.B6. Usually, if the levels of B6 get high in the daily intake would be more than 200 mg. Once you stop taking such high doses, the blood Vit.B6 level will be back to normal within 6 months. Thank you! Dr.Bardha