What causes heavy white vaginal discharge?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Question
I had unprotected sex a week ago. A few days later I started having heavy white discharge. It is still happening. I am worried I may have gotten an sti?
Posted Tue, 11 Mar 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Praveen G 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: Sexually Transmitted Infection (STIs) Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to Healthcare Magic, Unprotected sex by oral, anal and vaginal routes definitely has risk of acquiring and transmitting the sexually transmitted infections (STIs). The symptoms of white discharge that you are having may be due to various reasons like: STIs or Bacterial vaginosis or Fungal Infection. 1.Bacterial vaginosis - Is this, whitish or yellow discharge with fishy odour will be present ,But you have not mentioned regarding the odour of the discharge. 2.Fungal Infection - Heavy whitish discharge with itching, this is not a STI, because yeast are the normal comensals of the vagina whenever there is a imbalance in the genital environment, the fungus will produce the symptoms. 3.Chlamydia- Sexually transmitted infection where there will be vaginal discharge with odour. 4.Gonorrhea - Sexually transmitted infections where there will be whitish discharge. 5.Trichomoniasis- Sexually transmitted infections where there will be whitish discharge with itching. As you have not mentioned regarding odour and other clinical symptoms like itching, burning micturition and pain, the above mentioned infections can produce the symptoms which you are having. The diagnosis can be made by proper clinical examination and lab reports. Hope I have answered your question, if you have any further query feel free to post them. Thank you

Follow-up: What causes heavy white vaginal discharge? 1 hour later
Thank you, the discharge is a bit yellow now that i see it on white underwear. Still no itching or anything.. It almost feels like tingly sensation? I have no access to a doctor right now but i am worried at the amount of discharge. I have attached a graphic photo. I had physicsal prior to having unprotected sex and everything was good. So now all this discharge after sex has me worried.

Answered by Dr. Praveen G 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Diagnosis of vaginal discharge Detailed Answer: Hello, Its my pleasure to answer your query. By looking at the photograph you have attached,it looks like yeast/fungal infection. Fungal infection is most commonly caused by Candida species. It is usually treated with pessaries and creams containing anti-yeast medicines such as clotrimazole, econazole or miconazole (pessaries are inserted into the vagina with an applicator). It can also be treated with Fluconazole, which is taken as a single dose.But I advice you to confirm it by consulting a doctor after performing physical exam and lab test. After confirmation you can take the above mentioned medicines.Symptoms surely subsides. Hope you are happy with the answer.If you have any further query feel free to post them. Thank you.

Follow-up: What causes heavy white vaginal discharge? 10 hours later
Ok thank you. I will go in as soon as im done working. If what i have is a bacteria infection is it possible the person i had unprotected sex with has it too? Since i got it after i slept with him? Or is it possible i just got ? Thanks for your help

Answered by Dr. Praveen G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes your partner may have the infection too. Detailed Answer: Hi, Yes if you have a bacterial infection your partner also would have got that. So its necessary that your partner also takes the treatment with you. Also you and your partner should maintain sexual abstinence till you people get cured, to prevent the spread of the disease. Hope you are happy with the answer.If you have any further query feel free to post them. Thank you.