What causes heavy sweating while doing work?

When I get dressed I get clammy and hot. I then sit down and turn on the fan and then I start to sweat along my hairline and back of head. It takes quite a while to calm down the sweat. I experience these same problems when I am doing an activity or working around the house or gardening. I GAVE UP digging with a shovel as I could not keep the sweat off my face.
Posted Thu, 20 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 2 hours later
Brief Answer: To consider Hyperthyroidism Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Ms Feeling hot and sweaty when normally dressed I would consider the following two possibility 1. Hyperthyroidism: Even though less likely at your age , could present with feeling of excessive warmth and excessive sweating. It could be the earliest manifestation of Excess Thyroid hormone 2. Hyperhidrosis: It could likely be due to primarily excessive sweating because of over stimulation and secretion of sweat by sweat glands. It's especially more common in the region of face and head and usually becomes more while chewing food. At this stage I would suggest you to get Thyroid profile done which measures levels of Thyroid Hormone (T3 and T4) and also Thyroid stimulating Hormone (TSH). If the profile is normal it's likely to be Hyperhidrosis In the meanwhile avoiding taking bath with hot water and wearing loose cotton clothes along with application of dusting talcum powder to the face will be beneficial. Take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS, MD