What causes heavy bleeding after taking emergency contraceptive pill?

hi, i had sex with my husband last sunday without protection. I took a postpone 72 pill on sunday itself. I am bleeding heavy since today morning. I had my last day of date previous friday only. I am confused.. Can you help me figure out my condition?
Posted Mon, 10 Mar 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: Kindly reply few questions. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX I have analyzed your query, but I need some more information. Kindly reply few questions so that I can guide you further: How was your previous period i.e.which according to you happened on Friday? was it like normal regular period? Are you using any contraception? do you have any history of post coital bleeding? have you undergone any PAP smear examination before? Do you have any kids? if yes, how many and when was the previous issue? Please ask if you have more questions, and do write back with the answers so that I can guide you further. Awaiting your response. Regards Arif
Follow-up: What causes heavy bleeding after taking emergency contraceptive pill? 14 minutes later
I had a normal period. I never had post coital bleeding. This is only the second time I had sex. I have no kids. I was never examined for PAP smear too. I just took a postpone 72 on the same day around 11 hours after sex. And I have used postpone 72 for the first time.
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Unlikely to be due to pregnancy. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for the reply. As you have not missed your periods, most importantly you have taken the emergency contraceptive pill as well, Considering these things its unlikely to be pregnant. Your bleeding episode could be due to hormonal imbalance. I personally feel there is nothing urgent to be done. You can always get a urine pregnancy test done if you are still in doubt of pregnancy. As this is your first episode you can wait and watch. If the bleeding is not controlled or it is continuing or associated with pain abdomen or nausea kindly visit your doctor urgently for evaluation. For my patients with similar complaints I usually give tranexamic acid mefenamic acid combination drug for control of bleeding. Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!
I just want to clarify. I had my periods stopped on 14th February and I had sex on sunday(16th february). Then I had a pill on sunday itself after 11 hours of the intercourse. Is that the same I conveyed to you previously because you have mentioned as I have not missed my periods. So its normal. Sorry If I have confused. Please clarify on this, if its normal to have bleeding after 4 or 5 days after having sex. I forgot to mention that I was tensed and really not prepared for the intercourse then.
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Vaginal trauma can cause similar bleeding episode. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX I understood your query and concerns, coming back to your question though your symptom is not normal I advise you to wait and watch. Sometimes a minor trauma in the vaginal area due to rough sex can cause similar complaints. It is unlikely to be due to pregnancy. If you are too much concerned get evaluated by any OBGY specialist to rule out any problem. I personally feel you can wait and see if the bleeding stops by itself or not, if it stops then you can be reassured that it is nothing so serious, or if the bleeding is not getting controlled then you need evaluation to know the reason for this irregular bleeding. Your doctor might do a per-speculum examination to rule out any cervical problem like cervical congestion or any polyp which might cause similar complaints. Kindly do not worry, be assured if the bleeding stops by itself. I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Please do not forget to accept it. Thank you, Wish you good health. Regards, Dr Arif