What causes heaviness in head when suffering from ear infection?

ENT Specialist
hi, i have a question and im hoping you can help me. two years ago i had a really bad ear infection and was given anitbiotics etc. well , last year i lost 90% of my hearing in that same ear. i didnt have health insurance at the time and or the money to go back to the doctor. i have noticed since then any time the barometric pressure changes and or weather in general changes my inner ear sounds like it throbbs , i feel like i have a 10lb weight inside the left side of my head ( same side as ear) , and my neck bothers me. i just wanted to see what your thoughts were
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: There may be a drum perforation! Detailed Answer: Hello! Thanks for posting your query. Please dont worry! It is likely that you have developed a perforation of your ear drum following the infection, which is causing the hearing loss and the inner ear throbbing. Relax! it is easily treatable by a small surgery and you will do perfectly fine after that! Please meet your ENT doctor, he will order some tests and will guide you further. Meanwhile, keep the ear dry and avoid any kind of water entering into your ear. Thanks
Follow-up: What causes heaviness in head when suffering from ear infection? 1 hour later
would this also cause my head feeling heavy on the same side as my ear ?
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 15 hours later
Brief Answer: yes! it will Detailed Answer: hello again! Yes, it is likely to cause the "heavy " feeling on the same side. You may also experience some swaying and loss of balance and maybe even some ringing sound in the affected ear! Please meet your ENT doctor as soon as possible! Regards